The perfect dream wedding schedule
12 months prior
- Think about your wedding plan in general! What do you have in mind? A civil ceremony or church wedding? A big or small celebration? Hotel or open-air venue?
- What is your wedding budget? Put together a preliminary budget.
- When do you want to get married? Set the date while paying close attention to public holidays and general holiday times.
- With whom would you like to celebrate?
- If you don’t want to plan everything yourself, perhaps look for a wedding planner!
11 months prior
- Reserve a date for the church wedding; registration is only possible six months in advance.
- Start by compiling the necessary documents for the registry office
- Who will you select as the best man/maid of honour?
6 to 4 months prior
- Discuss the arrangements for all practical and financial details with the family. Set a date and finalise general wedding plan.
- Prepare the banns of marriage at the registry office and obtain any missing documents.
- Arrange an appointment for the church wedding with the priest.
- Obtain general information from product and service providers.
- Find a photographer/videographer and book them for your wedding date.
- Organise music for the church and the wedding party.
- Decide what the wedding dress code will be.
- Plan and book your honeymoon. Arrange for any vaccinations for foreign travel if necessary and check validity of passports.
- Choose a restaurant/hotel or party service. Obtain offers and menu suggestions. Arrange for a test meal and place order.
- Calculate costs and agree on financing.
- Take a dance class.
3 months prior
- Announcement of the banns of marriage
- Visit a hairstylist and book an appointment for your wedding hairstyling
- Put together a provisional guest list.
- Assemble a list of desired wedding gifts or put together a list at a preferred store
- Choose your desired wedding vehicle and potentially book it (carriage, vintage car, etc.).
10 weeks prior
- Organise overnight accommodation for out-of-town guests. Potentially reserve a hotel room for your wedding night if necessary.
- Select members of the bride & groom party and arrange for flower children.
- Select a “Master of Ceremonies” (a member of family who is good at organising) and can help keep the celebration flow on the day of the event.
- Select a date for the church wedding with the pastor. Ask about a potential marriage seminar.
- Select and print invitations, menus and place cards.
- Set the time schedule of the celebration.
- Make arrangements for the bridal bouquet in addition to floral decorations for the car, church and table settings.
8 weeks prior
- Discuss in detail the arrangements for the church wedding with the priest.
- Check expected costs and recalculate budget if necessary.
- Choose wedding rings and have them engraved. Keep in mind that you will wear this ring for the rest of your life!
- Try on your wedding dress and make adjustments if necessary.
- Send wedding invitation cards. Attach a map & directions for guests from abroad.
6 weeks prior
- Check and correct guest list on the basis of replies.
- Purchase a guestbook. Polaroid self-portraits of guests, which can be glued inside and signed, are a particularly nice touch.
- Plan your hen/bachelorette party.
- Discuss the necessity of a prenuptial agreement and what should be included.
- Organise give-aways as a small token of appreciation for the wedding guests! You may want to make an additional gesture for the wedding party members.
4 weeks prior
- Organise transport for the guests.
- Order the wedding cake.
- Organise champagne reception.
- Make an appointment with a beautician, get advice and make an appointment prior to the wedding date.
- Invite friends to a bachelor party (by phone).
- If so desired, place a wedding notification in the local newspaper.
2 weeks prior
- Test out your wedding hairstyle.
- Set seating at table for final guest list.
- Test the seat of the wedding dress with all accessories once again.
- Make travel arrangements for honeymoon (travel insurance, foreign currency, etc.).
1 week prior
- Inform restaurant about exact menu number and table arrangement.
- Hairdressing appointment for the groom.
- Break in wedding shoes.
- Pick up wedding rings.
- Give up marriage notice in the newspaper.
- Preparing for a bachelor party, informing neighbors if it gets loud …
- Discuss wedding process details once more with master of ceremonies.
- Get a little thank you for the flower children.
1 day prior
- Put wedding rings and papers ready.
- Packing suitcases for honeymoon.
- Put together a small emergency kit.
- Relax and enjoy the last day in freedom …
3 weeks after
- Thanksgiving cards may be sent with photos of the guests at the wedding reception.
- Name change with authorities and insurances announce.