Kitzbühel was granted a town charter in 1271 by Ludwig II. The building dates from 1531 and was converted into the town hall in 1548. The "Neutor" (now called the "Kirchberger Tor") was built around 1840. The present day building was erected in 1954/55. Near the entrance is a relief (sculpted by Franz Roilo) commemorating the ski pioneer and mayor Franz Reisch, who founded the winter sports resort of Kitzbühel in 1892/93.